Every week, Communities In Schools of Pennsylvania will be spotlighting our administrative and site coordinator staff with a 10-question interview. Today’s spotlight is with Senior Director of Programs and Embedded Affiliates, Shelly Grim.
1. What would be the title of the autobiography of your life?
2. What is the one thing you can’t live without?
3. If you had unlimited time, what skill or hobby would you want to start?
I would love to learn how to play the piano!
4. Name 3 things that define you as an individual.
My family, my ambitions and my work – in that order.
5. Who or what is your biggest inspiration?
My father – he has been my hero throughout my life and his work ethic is what I follow.
6. What was one past experience that made you a stronger individual?
My heart attack at the age of 38. It made me realize that life is short. It also made me realize that I had to prioritize my life, hence the 3 things that define me as an individual.
7. What advice would you give your younger self?
Pay more attention and try harder in grade school….you’ll benefit from it in the end.
8. How do you define success?
Feeling good about what you do. Not cringing about coming into work every day. Wanting to do what you do and wanting to do it well. The moment you can’t see yourself doing anything else. Feeling that your work is serving a purpose.
9. What drives you to do this type of work?
I think I’m good at it and love the fact that I’ve helped hundreds of kids and their families throughout my career.
10. What is the best part about working for Communities In Schools of Pennsylvania?
Being able to extend my wealth of knowledge of the field to others so that they can then help hundreds of kids and their families.