The Community School Director (CSD) is responsible for the implementation of the Community School model at King Elementary School in the School District of Lancaster. The CSD achieves this through coordinated efforts with King’s leadership team, CISPA leadership, community partners, students, and families. The CSD will be a full-time employee of CISPA, but will work full-time within the school building and must be able to navigate the complexities of reporting to multiple key stakeholders.
What is a community school?
A Community School is both a place and a set of partnerships – between the school and other community resources. Its integrated focus on academics, health and social services, youth and community development, and community engagement leads to improved student learning, stronger families and healthier communities. Using public schools as hubs, community schools bring together many partners to offer a diverse range of supports to children, youth, families and communities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Implement data-driven interventions to improve daily student attendance, reduce chronic absenteeism, increase positive student behavior, and increase parent/family engagement
- Work to align programs, strategies, and events with the benchmarks of community schools
- Generate reports and share outcomes with stakeholders, including: CISPA, the building principal, the school leadership team, school district employees and leadership, and other stakeholders
- Develop relationships and partnerships with neighborhood residents, community-based organizations, local businesses and communities of faith to support the goals of the School Support Plan
- Coordinate distribution of donated basic need items at the school site
- Recruit, train and supervise school-based volunteers
- Utilize Communities In Schools’ on-line data management system (CISDM) to gather, maintain and report on student academic, attendance behavioral success in school and offered programs
- Participate in regular supervision and staff meetings as scheduled both CISPA and school/district leadership
- Work collaboratively with other CISPA affiliate staff as well as school district staff and officials to further the community school movement
- Serve as a well-informed and professional ambassador of both Communities in Schools of Pennsylvania and the School District of Lancaster
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
The CSD should love working in fast-paced and diverse environments. This position requires strong relationship-building skills and the ability to relate to diverse groups of individuals – including parents, community partners, students, school building/district staff, and other CIS employees. A Bachelor’s Degree in social work, psychology, social services, community engagement, or related field is preferred. A minimum of 3 years of related experience working with youth, within the field of public education or at a community-based organization is also preferred. Candidates should be motivated and highly professional, with the ability to have difficult conversations with diplomacy. Bilingual in Spanish required.
OTHER PREFERRED/REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- The ability to work effectively with a broad range of representatives from public and private service organizations, public education, neighborhood organizations, parent groups, and local government.
- Ability to work with diverse educational and social issues to assist students in achieving academically and socially.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with obtaining and tracking of information, as well as use of data management systems.
- Knowledge of local human service network and effective child behavior modification interventions.
- Ability to manage details and work independently.
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, enthusiasm, and ability to work independently
- Clear criminal background check, FBI clearance, child abuse clearance, Mandated Reporter Training certificate and TB Testing required.
- Standard schedule for full time is a minimum of 40 hours per week. Some weekend and evening work is required. Schedule may vary according to programmatic needs, events and activities. This is a full-time, 12-month position.
- On-going employment in this capacity is dependent on availability of funding.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40,000.00 to $44,000.00 /year
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- Lancaster, PA (Required)
- Spanish (Required)
- One location
- Multiple locations
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off